7 Ways to Cover the Cost of Studies at UNSW Canberra

7 Ways to Cover the Cost of Studies at UNSW Canberra

7 Ways to Cover the Cost of Studies at UNSW Canberra
7 Ways to Cover the Cost of Studies at UNSW Canberra

           7 Ways to Cover the Cost of Studies at UNSW Canberra


We’ve all been there – you get accepted into your PhD program and want to start straight away, but need to cover the cost of your studies. While it may seem like an insurmountable task, don’t give up hope just yet! You could be eligible for a number of grants, scholarships and other forms of financial aid that will help you pay your tuition fees without having to worry about how you’ll ever afford to finish your studies. But where do you begin? Here are seven ways you can find the money to cover the cost of your PhD studies at UNSW Canberra.


1) Spouses Allowance

The Spouses Allowance is available for students with dependent spouses. The spouse must be both over 18 years old and in full-time study. They must have been married before beginning their studies, or intend to marry within nine months of completing their course. Students receiving another Commonwealth benefit may be able to claim an exemption, however it is worth talking with your provider before you make any decisions about claiming or not claiming Spouses Allowance.


2) Secondary Dependent’s Visa

If you’re in a relationship, or have dependent children or family members, then securing your partner’s visa is one thing you should definitely look into. A secondary applicant visa can help bring your loved ones to Australia. Depending on which kind of visa your partner has and their country of origin, they may also be able to work legally in Australia while on their secondary visa. So not only will it allow them to live with you but also give them extra money through work.


3) Centrelink Assistance

Centrelink provides a weekly payment based on your eligibility and needs, though you’ll need to make a claim. Be aware that Centrelink payments don’t necessarily cover all your costs; they’re intended as supplementary support while you go about your studies. The amount and frequency of payments varies between students depending on their circumstances. See Centrelink for more information. Consider taking advantage of financial aid and scholarships when researching options for covering education expenses – there are plenty available!


4) Maintenance Loan – Postgraduate Home/EU

The Postgraduate Home/EU Maintenance Loan is designed to support you with your living costs whilst studying for a postgraduate degree. The loan is available for students who are ordinarily resident in England or Wales, or who are from outside of these countries and have their place of residence in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Guernsey. You can apply for both a maintenance loan and grants (see below). However, only one form will be used. If you wish to apply for both loans and grants you must apply by using an SLC 2 form, not by using our online application form.


5) Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA)

As a graduate research assistant, you’ll work as part of a team alongside other postgraduate students and university researchers. If you’re passionate about research and already have some hands-on experience in relevant fields, it might be worth looking into opportunities for working as a graduate research assistant. This is something that many university departments actively encourage, but check with your supervisor before applying. Most GRA positions are available on a casual basis, meaning that you can fit study around work commitments and maintain any employment that you already have (provided your hours won’t interfere with your course load). Many universities also offer travel bursaries for postgraduate students who want to attend international conferences or academic events.


6) Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs)

This Government initiative gives you a study place for your doctorate, but does not cover all living expenses. You may be eligible for an additional allowance from Centrelink towards basic living costs such as rent, clothing and food if you are: Single and have no dependents; or Partnered but have no dependents; or A parent with dependent children in receipt of Parenting Payment Single or Carer Allowance. In addition, your partner’s income can be taken into account as it will contribute towards your family’s financial support if you are part of a couple applying for CSPs.


7) Superannuation Contribution Scheme (SCS)

The government has recently introduced a new tax-free superannuation contribution scheme called Superannuation Contribution Scheme (SCS) which is targeted towards low income workers. It offers a 15% concessional tax rate on employee’s salary and employers must match their employee’s contribution. The employer needs to contribute 2% as well for each eligible staff. Employers can also claim a tax deduction for contributions made under SCS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.